Thursday, October 30, 2014

Nightcrawler

Every once in a while you just have a feeling about a movie. That even if no one else likes it or sees it you will love it and preach it's qualities to anyone who will listen. I have at least one of these pet projects every single year. Rush, Prisoners, Lawless...etc. I love these movies, some of them have become my favorite movies of all time. The second I finished watching the trailer for Nightcrawler for the first time, I predicted that this would be my movie this year. My instincts were right.


Nightcrawlerfilm.jpg

Louis Bloom knows how to get things done. He has a game plan that is focused and is willing to overcome any obstacles that stand between him and personal growth. He may have started as a scrounger, stealing metal from where ever he could and selling it. But his fast talking and driven personality will help him succeed in his new profession: Nightcrawling. Nightcrawlers drive around the city filming the bloody and shocking crimes and accidents that happen so people can be satisfied in their fascination with violence during the morning news. Louis's lack of conscience and willingness to do what ever is necessary for that one money shot is the exact thing that a news station that is struggling in the ratings needs. But everything has a price.

Everyone's favorite word when describing this movie and Jake Gyllenhaal's amazing performance is "Creepy." And while I hate to be repetitive it really is the best word for it. The examination of a society's obsession with rubbernecking and glorification of violence couldn't come at a more relevant time. (The irony that the Saw re-release was playing a few theaters down was not lost on me.) As an aspiring director I caught myself at times evaluating and praising Louis's footage instead of being shocked at what he was filming. Nightcrawler is an extremely captivating, relevant, and realistic movie that transcends familiar tropes and becomes a modern instant classic.  A+

No comments:

Post a Comment