Thursday, October 23, 2014

John Wick

I hadn't heard the name John Wick until about a month ago when I first saw the trailer. It looked like a decent popcorn flick with the very underused Keanu Reeves. I wasn't sure if I'd even go see it. Last week my theater rewards card gave me a free ticket and I was looking for a movie to burn it on. I was reminded of John Wick when I saw some very positive reviews on it. Now that I've seen it I realize I would've gladly paid to see this movie.

A gentleman holding a pistol directly to the screen.

John Wick is a sad, simple man. He used to be a fearsome hit man known as The Boogeyman for the mob but found a chance to get out of that violent life and live his happily ever after with the love of his life. But she got sick and died. She knew John would need something to love after she was gone and gave him a puppy. But John's flashy car catches the eye of a psychotic punk who kills his dog and steals his car. John Wick was happy to kick back and retire...now he's going to kick backs and retire other people.

John Wick is not Citizen Kane. But in knows that and never tries to be. It's story might not be the most complex or compelling but it doesn't have to be. Watching Keanu Reeves punch, kick, shoot and slice his way through mobster after mobster with the grace and coolness of a feline dancer is more than enough to keep engaged. The snarky one liners are hilarious and the supporting cast is unbelievably talented. This is the directorial debut of two Hollywood stunt men and their familiarity with action shows in every fight scene. John Wick is a beautifully shot, adrenaline pumping, shoot em' up that while it's never intelligent, it is always very entertaining. Hopefully this is the first installment in a series because I want to see more of John Wick.   A

No comments:

Post a Comment