Sunday, October 26, 2014

23 Blast

I hardly knew anything about 23 Blast when I walked into the theater. I hadn't even looked up a trailer. All I knew is that is was about a kid who played football and went blind and that is was being pretty much destroyed by critics. But I never really care what the critics say, heck I'm the guy that like The Lone Ranger and hated American Hustle. But this is one case where they might have a point.
23 Blast poster.jpg

Travis Freeman knows who he is. He's the star High School running back who's dating the beautiful head cheerleader and has big plans for his life. He'd like it if his best friend since childhood would feel the same but he's more interested in drinking, partying, and goofing off. But one infection changes his life, taking his eyesight and leaving him blind literally overnight. Travis understandably has trouble understanding the plan in this but with a little help from his friends, coach, and pastor, he may come to grasp it yet. 

As good as this story sounds, and it is good, this is not the movie it deserves. It's positive story and message lost its impact on me as I had to sit through poor dialogue delivered by poorer actors. There are a few exceptions.... The main characters best friend and a girl who eventually becomes more to him both are worth mentioning, the always stellar Stephen Lang does not disappoint...but they're about the only ones who don't. Plagued by the problems that have now become cliche of Christian films the movie is all heart and no quality...which granted, the audience it's aimed at will happily accept. But this is the type of movie that made me want to make movies in the first place: There is no excuse for sacrificing production quality for quality family entertainment. I expect better.  C- 

No comments:

Post a Comment