Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

I don't usually like love stories. I don't usually like happy endings or the stories that get to happy endings. Give me dark and gritty and depressing stories. I hate Nicholas Sparks movies or those along that vein. I do love Shailene Woodley so when I heard she was going to be in a love story that was being adapted from some YA book I'd never heard of with the sappy title The Fault In Our Stars, I rolled my eyes and though guess I might see that. As soon as I watched the first trailer though I knew that this was not going to be your usual love story. 
Hazel Grace isn't depressed because of the cancer. She depressed because of the dying. It's tedious not being able to breathe. Her parents are understandably worried about her so they make her go to a support group "literally in the heart of Jesus." She goes to make her parents happy but eventually she meets a charming cancer survivor Augustus Waters. It isn't long before they're hanging out and flirting... Unfortunately dying doesn't wait for you to fall in love...

If there was ever a love story for me it would be this one. I don't think its a spoiler to say not to expect a happy ending. All the actors deliver beautifully especially Woodley, Laura Dern and Willem Dafoe. That might be messed up but its true. It also might be messed up to say for half the movie I was laughing at the droves of teen girls sobbing their eyes out around me but its true. I might not have a heart... luckily thought this movie does. It does hit you in the feels as often as possible but it's always believable and sincere. Unless you're me, bring a box of tissues. 

A-

No comments:

Post a Comment