Sunday, April 6, 2014

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

I have a hard time liking Marvel movies. One: I'm a DC Comics man. Two: Every time a Marvel movie comes out I compare it to the greatest superhero movies ever made: The Dark Knight Trilogy. I've given up even pretending like I even watched The Incredible Hulk, I grudgingly admit liking Iron Man, I happily hate Iron Man 2, I really like Thor, Thor 2 and Iron Man 3, and even though I like The Avengers, I can quickly point out its many faults. The Marvel movie I like the most was always Captain America. Captain America 2 outdoes its predecessor in every way...

Captain America The Winter Soldier.jpgSteve Rodgers looks pretty good for 95 years old, he jogs every day, enjoys catching up with old friends and the current times, and the occasional top secret mission keeps him young and healthy. See, Steve isn't just any old WWII vet, he's Captain freakin' America! A symbol of justice, freedom, and sit ups! But now in a modern, complex, post 9/11 world, Captain America is having a hard time being those symbols anymore (except the sit ups). Now with cyber spying, wire tapping, and preemptive strikes, Steve feels like the old values of freedom and privacy are being lost. As he puts it: "This isn't freedom, it's fear." After the loss of a close friend and the new threat of a super assassin, The Winter Soldier, Captain America is a little out of his element. Not knowing who to trust the ol' Cap goes on a search for answers in a world fraught with unseen dangers.

Let me get right to the point: It is my personal opinion that Captain America: The Winter Soldier is by far the best Marvel movie. Its action is breathtaking, its dilemmas relate to the real world, and in a time when anti heroes and complex heroes and sometimes downright villains are the main draw (which to be honest, I love) in The Winter Soldier we find a hero who is truly heroic. He the all American boy scout, the never tell a lie role model, and at the same time the arm breaking, butt kicking, head cracking war hero that he needs to be. It is a downright, unashamedly American, feel good action movie. And I loved it.        A+

No comments:

Post a Comment