Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1

Ok, I can't believe I'm posting this on December 2. For some reason I thought that I had already posted this.., so sorry for the delay. Unpopular confession 1: I think that Mockingjay was the best book in the Hunger Games Trilogy. (Believe me I could/might dedicate an entire post to defend this position.) Unpopular confession 2: I do not have a problem with this Hollywood cash grab of splitting books up into multiple movies...as long as they stay close to the source material. As much as I like that splitting books up can allow for more book material to be covered (or as in the case of Peter Jackson's Hobbit, material adding) I can concede that Mockingjay could have easily been a single movie.


MockingjayPart1Poster3.jpgAfter being rescued from The Hunger Games by a rebel force that has emerged to challenge the tyrannical rule of the Capitol, Katniss Everdeen is just barely scraping by. PTSD and anxiety have all but crippled her. Unfortunately for her, the rebels have big plans for her. They want Katniss to be the face of the revolution. The rallying cry to encourage other districts to revolt. The Mockingjay. The stakes have never been higher, the games are over, the war has begun.

Let me just describe the opening for you: After a nightmare/PTSD episode, Katniss hears crying and whimpering. She walks to the room next door where she sees a grief stricken, guilt ridden, traumatized Finnick crying in his regret of being helpless to save their comrades in the Games. He then wishes they were all dead. And Katniss doesn't disagree. THAT is the kind of movie this is. It is the most gutsy, depressing, installment yet...I reserve my final judgement until next years Part 2. It's why I loved the book so much: This is the Hunger Games except with no one playing any games, the stakes are higher than individual survival. It's stripped of all fluff and shows the bare bones of traumatic the Games and war affect people. Motives are masked, consequences are far reaching, and some damaged kids are swept up in it. It's the most important of the series...and the movie doesn't disappoint. The acting is strong, the visuals powerful, and the cliffhanger leaves you with the promise of more action next year in the conclusion of this awesome series.     A

No comments:

Post a Comment