Thursday, December 18, 2014

The Hobbit: The Battle of The Five Armies

"I'm old, Gandalf....I feel...thin. Sort of stretched, like....butter scraped over too much bread." Bilbo Baggins 

Five movies later, that statement takes on new meaning. I love The Lord of the Rings. I like The Hobbit. I think as far as the movies go though, they are the fantasy equivalent of Star Wars. Epic originals that defined a culture, flat prequels that made everyone shrug or roll their eyes. We needed a Hobbit movie, make no mistake, but I am more sure than ever that we didn't need three. But if The Hobbit is the Star Wars prequel equivalent to LOTR than The Battle of the Five Armies is also The Revenge of the Sith. (The best of the prequels for all you weirdos who don't watch Star Wars.) 

We pick up right where we left off: Smaug flying to decimate Lake Town...which he does. Bard breaks out of prison and kills the best thing about this trilogy within the first 30 minutes. (Aside: Like, what the heck Jackson? You spent two movies getting to the dragon and you kill him that quick? Lame.) So now the movie deals with what pretty much no one cared very much about: The dwarves holding the kingdom of Erebor from everyone looking to capitalize on the vacant dragon lair that is overflowing with riches. So power vacuum brings everyone (men, orcs, elves, dwarves, and goblins) looking to take the treasure and a huge Battle ensues. Also Gandalf. And a Ring....

The Hobbit - The Battle of the Five Armies.jpgBefore I list the things I didn't like about this, I will say I did love this movie. I love this franchise. I can't wait to get the whole extended edition and watch all six movies back to back. And The Battle of the Five Armies is perfect in the fact that when you start at An Unexpected Journey and watch to Return of the King, you will be watching them in order of greatness. But..... THEY KILLED SMAUG WAY TOO QUICK.....and there was way too much Lake Town. Like I have a hard time caring about the dwarves and now you're throwing all these humans at me? Please stop. And in the midst of the battle the dwarves all the sudden start riding goats, seriously, out of nowhere, and it looks ridiculous. Also Beorn finally joins the battle and we get like one scene of bear munching goblins... sigh....it's not a perfect movie is what I'm saying, but it's still a Peter Jackson Middle Earth movie...so it's still pretty cool.  B+

No comments:

Post a Comment