Thursday, September 25, 2014

This Is Where I Leave You

I like messy movies. Let me clarify: I like movies that correctly display how messy life can be. It's why I liked Boyhood. It's one of the reasons I wanted to make movies in the first place. So I have to say I was looking forward to this star-studded film documenting what happens when a dysfunctional family gets together to bury and mourn their father. Unfortunately some movies aren't just messy but a mess.

This Is Where I Leave You poster.jpgWhen the Altman patriarch dies, his four children come home and honor his last wish: to sit Shiva...even though he was an atheist Jew. It's the first time in a while they've been together and their personalities clash causing all manner of drama.

This was a messy movie that was a mess. It's the classic case of not knowing when to stop, I feel like the screenwriters sat around and figured out each persons problem (miscarriage, affair, divorce, pregnancy/marriage fatigue/ unable to get pregnant/ unwilling to growup) They decided that wasn't enough... I won't 'spoil' the rest but needless to say by the end I felt lest touched than pummeled. C-

No comments:

Post a Comment