Friday, September 26, 2014

The Maze Runner


Theatrical release poster
I'm like everyone else more or less... I work, I sleep, I eat.... I am tired of YA book adaptations that document one or several brave teens as the brave a post apocalyptic world. The Hunger Games, The Host, Divergent, The Giver and now The Maze Runner. The Hunger Games was the best. Divergent...was better then the rest but still felt derivative and same old, same old. The Host and The Giver were just....flat. So I entered the theater with eye's slightly rolled and incredulity as my expression. Some times the last isn't the least though...

Awake... No memory, in a quickly rising elevator. Daylight, outdoors, surrounded by strangers. Trapped in a maze. That's who this movie begins. We learn as He learns... like Thomas! That's his name! The Maze is a deadly, inescapable, unforgiving place and you need to be a quick learner to survive.

As tired as I am of YA post apocalyptic book-movie adaptations, if they were all as good as The Maze Runner and The Hunger Games I would be okay with it. It's part Lord of the Flies, part Hunger Games, and all nightmare. It's one of the more brutal and violent then most of the fare starring teenagers...It's also one of the more compelling and better acted. Here's looking to the sequel. A-

No comments:

Post a Comment