Friday, January 23, 2015

Thoughts on the Oscars.


Academy Award trophy.jpg
Every year the Oscar nominations come out and every year people get very, very upset about what they thought should have or shouldn't have been nominated. I am no different than anyone else. So here are some thoughts about the obvious snubs and the snubs no one is talking about.

1. The Lego Movie for Best Animated Film

I honestly have no idea how this was missed. The only thing that makes any kind of sense is that because of the scenes with human actors that is wasn't purely an Animated Film. In which case I can maybe see what they're talking about. I personally liked Big Hero 6 and How to Train Your Dragon better anyway so not that big of a deal for me.

2. David Oyelowo for Best Actor

This is a hard one for me. Oyelowo killed this role, to be sure but the Best Actor race was by far the most competitive of this years Oscar categories and I am not happy with the results anyway. But more on this in moment.

3. Ava DuVernay for Best Director

This is an obvious snub. Bennett Miller should in no way have a spot on this list. I honestly don't understand the love for Foxcatcher anyway. Brilliantly acted but otherwise completely tedious. DuVernay definitely deserved a spot and in my opinion so did Matt Reeves or Clint Eastwood instead of Morten Tyldum.

So those are the big three that everyone is talking about. Here though is my personal snubs that I found annoying.

1. ANDY FREAKING SERKIS and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes for everything.

I said I'd talk about the Best Actor race a little later and later is here. Let's take a look at the Best Actor Noms for a moment: Steve Carell for Foxcatcher, Michael Keaton for Birdman, Bradley Cooper for American Sniper, Eddie Redmayne for The Theory of Everything, and Benedict Cumberbatch for The Imitation Game. I've already said the best thing about Foxcatcher was the acting. That said, Steve Carell wasn't the one that stood out to me. Michael Keaton and Eddie Redmayne were sure bets and deserve their noms for sure. Bradly Cooper was a surprise and he certainly gave his best performance. Benedict Cumberbatch...I love him, but he really didn't do anything new in this role. In short, all of these performances were fine, some were great, but NONE CAME CLOSE TO WHAT ANDY SERKIS DID AS CAESAR!!! Motion capture is here and it's here to stay and one of these days the Academy will have to acknowledge that. Andy Serkis gave a layered, complex, and compelling performance for the ages. He made us care about an ape more than any humans that appeared on screen. It is an incredible shame that people will dismiss this movie as SciFi and nothing more. It was one of the best movies of the year and holds it's own in terms of storytelling, characters, or performances against any other prestige drama to come out. In my opinion Dawn should have gotten nods for Best Picture and Best Director as well.

2. Jake Gyllenhaal for Best Actor

Another actor I thought should have been recognized. Gyllenhaal gave his best performance by far and proved that he is an actor to be reckoned with. To summarize my list of Best Actors, this is how the nominations should be in my opinion.  
Andy Serkis for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Jake Gyllenhaal for Nightcrawler
Eddie Redmayne for Theory of Everything
Michael Keaton for Birdman
and take your pick for this fifth nod, it could go between Cooper, Oyelowo, or Carell and I would be happy.

3. Weird notes.

Birdman didn't get a nod for Film Editing??? Really??? It was by far the best edited movie of the year. If you saw it you know what I'm talking about, it not, they made it look like one long continuous shot. So, yeah...impressive.

No Hobbit love for Make Up and Hairstyling??? That is just outrageous. The movies subtitle is Battle of the Five Bearded Armies ...or something like that...

Also no Hobbit love for Original Song. Sorry Billy Boyd, you deserved One Last Goodbye.

Writing Adapted Screenplay..........DAWN OF THE FREAKING PLANET OF THE FREAKING APES!!!!!! Okay....I'm done....I think....

No comments:

Post a Comment