Friday, October 18, 2013

Gravity

Okay, time to admit something... I love space but it's also one of the things I'm most scared of. It’s like tigers, beautiful, majestic, and far, far away. I honestly had nightmares about floating un-tethered in space when I was a child. So when I saw the trailer for Gravity on the big screen months ago...yeah...I clenched the seat arms and plastered myself into the back of the cushion while my sister looked and laughed at me in disbelief. Now after I've seen it, it was everything I expected breathtaking, beautiful.....terrifying.
Gravity Poster.jpg 
Dr. Ryan Stone is part of a five man and woman team (headed by Lieutenant Matt Kowalski) who have traveled to space to service the Hubble Telescope. It is her first mission and is understandably extremely nervous. As it turns out, she has good reason to be. A Russian missile strike on a defunct satellite has caused a chain reaction of debris colliding into each other and has resulted in a mass of orbiting, destructive space junk...and it’s headed straight for them. It’s no spoiler alert to say the other three unlucky members of the team die quickly and Dr. Stone and Lt. Kowalski are left alone...in space...with no communication to earth...and it’s a long space walk to the International Space Station.... and that's their only hope.

Gravity is an incredible movie. It has been hailed as setting a new bar in movie making technology, heralded as Oscar worthy, and been undeniably slaughtering competition at the box office. The hype had set the expectations bar high and when I left the theater and realized I hadn't experienced oxygen in a while, I knew it had succeeded in living up to the hype. If you plan on going to the theater this weekend I can understand why you would gravitate to this movie. (Oh come on, I'm allowed one Gravity pun)

No comments:

Post a Comment